Post your queries now!
- Searching for any information on Samuel Armitage, b.1828, d.1904. Purchased land in the Chauncey, Illinois area in 1877. Came from Wood Co., Ohio. Could this have been a son of Thomas Armitage, b.1806 in Penn.? Any information on this family would be appreciated. Richard Palmer, 5/97
- Looking for information on the BISHOP family of Lawrence co. IL. Charles Benjamin Bishop b. or m. in ST. Francisville, IL. He m. Devella Ellen Clark @1890. Child: Virgil Oscar, b. 14 Aug 1893. Any help is certainly appreciated. Darra Stewart, 11/97
- Looking for information on the following:
1. WILLIAM4 BLACKBURN (JAMES3, JOHN2, JOHN1) was born Abt 1776 in Virginia, and died Bef 1830 in Lawrence, Illinois. He married ELIZABETH MCCLANAHAN.
Children of William Blackburn and Elizabeth McClanahan are:
i. THOMAS, b. 1800.
ii. ISAAC, b. 1802.
iii. ELIZA, b. September 28, 1806, Harrison County, Kentucky; m. BARNABAS MCMAHAN, July 19, 1826, Macoupin County, Illinois.
iv. JANE, b. 1813, Harrison County, Kentucky; m. DILER CATTERTON, September 20, 1832, Macoupin County, Illinois.
v. DAVID, b. 1815; m. MARY ANN MARY, August 05, 1839, Macoupin County, Illinois.
vi. JOSEPH, b. 1820.
vii. WILLIAM, b. 1825, Illinois; m. AMELIA ROBINSON, March 20, 1847, Macoupin County, Illinois.
Michael A. Smoke, 2/97
- CLEMMONS / CLEMENTS
- Joseph SHAW & Cynthia CLEMMONS/CLEMENTS were m. in Lawrence county, IL, 19 Feb 1822. Any help on this family would be greatly appreciated. GARY D. MURRAY, 9/97
- I need to locate a serviceman who was stationed at George Field. Was this Army base located in Lawrence county? Is there any information for the men who served at this base? I need to find the first name of a soldier with the last name of Cody. This is all the information I have of him. He was stationed there between 1945-46. Thanks for any help.
Mary Geneo, 7/97
Response: Have you tried to find him through military records? There are several books outlining how to get information. Of course, since you have only a last name it may be difficult, but check your local libraries for how-to books.
- Looking for information on William COLLINS, b. abt 1801in VA, d. 31 Sept 1874 in Lawrence County. Lived near Bridgeport or Sumner. First wife unknown, but children: John, b. abt 1832; Mary Ann, b. Jan 1835, m. Samuel MICHAEL, d. 12 Dec 1879 in Lawrence Co.; Elmira, Nancy Jane, and Lavina. Any info is appreciated. Paula Earls, 5/97
- Interested in obtaining verifiable birth, marriage, death and burial information for Jesse Belle CRAWFORD, her parents and her first born Harry BEAMON. The following represents what I have captured to date relating to these individuals: Jesse Belle CRAWFORD b. @March 1878 in Sumner, Lawrence Co, IL to Robert CRAWFORD and Nancy McELFRESH. Jesse m. Austin Clark BEAMON, Jr. @1895, probably in Lawrence Co, or Richland Co., IL. Children: Harry BEAMON, @ Dec 1896, possibly in Lawrence Co. or Richland Co., IL. Cleatis BEAMON on Nov 23, 1898 in Decker, Knox Co, IN. Jesse Belle and Austin Clark Beamon Jr were listed in the 1900 Census in Johnson Township, Knox County, IN. They had numerous other children who were born in Decker, Knox County, IN. Jesse d. in 1955 and is buried in the Memorial Park Cemetery, Vincennes, Knox County, IN. Richard E. Parr, 7/96
- Am looking for anyone researching the family of James CREWS,b. 7 Dec 1799 in Halifax Co., VA; m. 1st Nancy LITTLE; m. 2nd Malinda DUKE (WARNER) on 6 Dec 1838 in Lawrence Co., IL. He d. 31 Jan 1849 in Lawrence Co., IL. I am descended from James and Malinda's son Albert CREWS. I am interested in information on James' first wife also, if anyone knows her parents? Also am looking for more information on James' father, John CREWS (d. 20 Sep 1864 in Palestine, Crawford Co., IL) and his wife, Elizabeth SAMPSON (d. 1845 in Palestine also). Am happy to share any information I have on these and other Lawrence/Crawford Co. families.
Mary Kathryn (Crews) Kozy, 6/97
- Joseph Croniger is listed as purchasing land in Lawrence co, IL on 10 May 1853 in a federal land sale. i am trying to find information on this family because my grandfather, Charlie Odle, was listed in the 1910 census for Christian co, IL as living with the family of Isaac Nelson Odle and wife, Jenny Bates, but with Charlie's last name being Croniger. My grandfather never found out who his birth parents were and I have run into repeated dead ends. However, Joseph Croniger may possibly be an ancestor. I would be grateful for any information on him, his family, and/or descendants. Thank you very much. Michael Odle, 11/97
- I'm searching for information about the Crouch family of Lawrenceville, IL. The Ancestor I am absolutely sure about is my Grandmother Mary Crouch Owens, b. 15 Feb 1897 to Abraham? and Martha Crouch. One of my ggrandparents was 1/2 Native American and we would like to know the tribal affiliation. My mother remembers her mother, who d. when she was 7 years old, mentioning twin boys, Ollie and Oscar, who were older than she. My mom also met an Uncle Carter Crouch who still lived in Lawrenceville.
- I am continuing to research my CROUCH lineage. I have, thanks to the discovery of a long lost cousin: Mary Kathryn Crews-Kozy (thanks cuz!), traced it back to Elihu CROUCH, b. 14 JUL 1812,Crawford Co, IL; d. 25 MAR 1869, Lawrence Co., IL; m. (when?) Charity HIGGINS, b. 21 MAR 1824, Crawford Co?; d. 21 Mar 1901, Lawrence Co, IL. Children: Alexander, 1842 - 1929; Abram Newton, "Abraham", b. 04 May 1857; d. 27 May 1909,Lawrence Co., IL. I'd really like some info on Elihu's parentage. Either he or Charity was full-blooded Native American according to our "oral family history", not to mention my looks! Please help if you can? Melissa J. Price, 8/97.
- Looking for information on George Cunningham. b. 1797, buried in May 1845 in Lawrenceville. Gayle Manion
- I am looking for information on a David DANIELS b. @ 1849. Also his father Louis/Lewis DANIELS b. 1827. I have found some land records with Louis purchasing land in Lawrence Co. in Dec 1851. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks, Jack Daniels, 6/97
- Searching for information on the surname Dean. I know the family lived in St. Francisville in the 1940's. My grandfather was Virgil Dean, son of Andres and Eliza. I will appreciate any information I get. Patsy Horton, 1/98
- I am looking for information about Nancy Louisa or Lucinda DEVIN who married Jacob BRUNER. Did their marriage take place in Lawrence County? I have been told it did and want to have verification of this information. Nancy was b. 1846 and d. 1883; her parents lived in Gibson Co., Indiana. Any help will be appreciated; thank you. Karen Venable, 5/97
- I would like any information concerning Toussaint Dubois who lived in Lawrence County in the early 1800's. His wife was Jane Baird Dubois, and two of his sons were Jesse Kilgore Dubois (state auditor of Illinois during Lincoln's term) and Thomas Baird Dubois who was born in 1806. Linda Leebron, 9/97
- Looking for any information on St. Clair, Wesley B., Charles EMMONS and families. Buried in EMMONS cemetary. Believe connected to Fleming, Co., Ky. EMMON's. Renee Schaeffer, 6/97
- FISHER, MOORE
- Edith MOORE m. Clifton L. FISHER in Adams co. IN 1911; sometime after 1915 they moved to Petrolia where Clifton worked in the oil fields; son, Lake Dalton, but apparently changed name to Dalton D. FISHER. Clifton d. in an oil field accident, probably before 1921. Edith d. before 1951. Dalton D. d. in Japan in June of 1951 serving with the Third Air Police Squadron. Obituary doesn't list any surviving wife or children; does say he attended school in Indiana, but did not graduate there, so possibly he graduated in Lawrenceville. I also have an obituary for Adelma FISHER, who was a brother of Clifton; d. Petrolia, Jan 18, but year not in obit. Any information on this family would be most helpful, especially an obit for Edith. Thank you. snowbird, 3/98
- FLORO / FLORE / FLORE / FLORA / FLOYD
- Mary FLOYD, b. Lawrence co, Russellville, @ 1840-1855; m. James Chapman maybe White co. Family moved to White co., then Vincennes, IN. Dau, b. 13 Feb 1866 in Carmi, White co; m. James Goldring of Richland co. in Vincennes, Knox co. I would like information on the above. Thanks. George Goldring, 11/97
- FOSS / WRIGHT / WILSON / FITE / INYART
- Would like to exchange information on the FOSS, WRIGHT, WILSON, FITE and INYART families of Lawrence Co. Ill. They lived in the Sumner and Lukin areas between the 1840s and the 1950s. James WRIGHT m. Mary Ann Wilson, 25 Dec 1861/62 in Sumner, Lawrence Co. Thank You! Earlene, 6/97
- GLEANER / MELVIN
- Will appreciate any information about Gleaner and Melvin families who lived around Lawrencevill, IL 1840-1900. "Eliza Gleaner was b. between Vincennes, IN and Lawrenceville, IL. Her mother was Miami. Eliza m. a House and had 2 sons. She left him, took youngest son, Frank, and m. a Melvin; had 3 dau: Gertie, Frankie, Mattie. She left him, took Mattie, and m. his son, William. They had Lucinda, Carrie, and twins, Edna and Edwin..."Obits say: Eliza b. Dec 23, 1840; d. Jul 15, 1944 in Lafayette, IN. Her 1st husband was Pete Melvin. At her death: Frank was living in Kansas, IL; Mattie Everett, in Crawfordsville, IN; Carrie Rogers in Lafayette, IN; Edwin in Crawfordsvill, IN; and 2 dau. in IL. Lucinda was b. Sep 5, 1883 in Lawrenceville, IL; d. Nov 30, 1930 in Crawfordsville, IN. Parents, William and Liza Melvin. Edwin b. Oct 17, 1890 in Lawrenceville, IL; d. Oct 27, 1959 in Crawfordsville, IN. Parents were Fred and Liza Melvin. The Praire Progress: A History of Edgar County 1180-1975 held by the Genealogical Library in Paris, IL contains info on a Frank Melvin (b. Mar 1, 1872 in Lafayette, IN; d. Aug 20, 1953) who lived in Kansas, IL in 1944. Will exchange info on Lucinda's decendents.Jack Roudebush, 7/97
- I have a great grandfather who was in the 62nd IL Infantry, CO A. His name was Benjamin Franklin Gosnell from near Lawrenceville, Lawrence co, IL. He enlisted shortly after the war began, was discharged and then re-enlisted. He was discharged as a captain at war's end in Little Rock, AR. It is unclear whether or not he was an officer of the said Company A in that regiment. At some time during the fighting, though, he was in it as either an enlisted man or later as an officer. David Goodnow, 10/97
- William Holloway babt 1805 in SC or KY) and sister were sent to Lawrence Co., to live with the WARREN family as children, when their parents died of yellow fever. William HOLLOWAY m. Rhoda Ann Swango in 1830 in Lawrence Co., IL. They had 15 kids. Peggy Zant, 5/97
- HAMPTON / MELTON
- Seeking information on Patsy Ann Hampton, b. @1817, Sumner co. TN; m. William L. Melton, 22 July 1835, Lawrence co, IL. Patsy is the dau. of Wade Hampton, Sr. & Mary Polly Melton. Wade d. 21 Feb 1842, White co. IL; he left no will. I desperately need any information that would connect Patsy Ann to her father Wade. It is possible that a marriage consent signed by Wade exists. If there is anyone who can help in this dilemma, it would be greatly appreciated. Robbie Story, 10/97
- I am seeking info on a Harris line. My gg grandfather, Murray P. Harris could have been part of the Harris families in Chauncey and Sumner. Any help useful. Debby Harris McGreehan, 2/98
- Julie Anna Hendrickson, b. Feb 1861; d. 1 Nov 1911 in Vincennes. Her father Jonathan Hendrickson moved to Lawrence county late 1860's; no wife on 1870 Illinois census; know very little about his family once they moved to Illinois and did not show up on 1880 census. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- Anna Holmes b. ? d. 3/8/1889, St. Francisville, m. 1886 Vincennes, IN, Michael MURPHY. Had son Henry b. 1888. Appreciate any info on family of Anna. Terry Ervin, 5/97
- My gg grandfather Franklin Jerdoe/Jeardoe was married to Eliza Brant in Lawrence co., 4 Oct 1838. There was also a John B. Gerdo who married a Sybil Brant, 14 June 1838 also in Lawrence co. I'm guessing that John B. is a brother to Franklin and that Sybil was a sister to Eliza. Franklin and Eliza moved to Grant co., Wisconsin wome time between March 1843 and November 1846 as he bought land in Wisconsin at that time. He had had another younger brother, Paul Girardin Jeardoe who was born in Lawrence co., 4 Feb 1819. I have tried finding any information of their parents, but have come up with a blank. A counsin found the records of the above marriages in Lawrence co. Any info would be most greatfully accepted. Spelling variations: Jerdoe, Gerdo, Jerdoc, Jerdon, Jeardoe, Jeardau. Del Jeardoe, 4/97
- I am looking for any information concerning JAMES W. and SAMUEL H. JENKINS and their families. Both JENKINS lived in Lawrence County in 1830's. David Jenkins, 6/97
- KIRK / WILSON
- Believe William Kirk b. Jan 1860 Lawrence county perhaps. d. 9 Aug 1943 in Vincennes, Indiana. Parents: William Kirk b. @ 1820 PA and Elizabeth Ann Wilson b. 1830 Lawrence co.; d. Lawrence co. 12 April 1851; her parents are William Wilson and Olive French. I really am looking for info on William Kirk of PA.
- I am looking for the ancestors and descendants of James Lackey and his wife, Sarah ___. James was born abt 1818 in KY; Sarah was born abt 1820 in IL. They were living in Marion Co., IL, at the time of the 1850 census. They had at least one son, David L. Lackey, who was born 22 Jan 1845 either in Lawrence Co. or Marion Co., IL.
Robert Battle, 2/97
- Looking for Emily b: 3/16/183 and married Josiah Cyrus HALLOWAY/HOLLOWAY. Mahala(Mary) SWANGO married Peter J. LEWIS 11/28/1848 in Lawrence Co., Jane SWANGO married Nathan KEMMEL 12/11/1843 in Lawrance Co. Peggy Zant
- My father, Obed Aden Lowery, was born 4 June 1894. We were told he was born near Allendale or St. Francisville, Illinois. Shortly after his birth, his mother Sarah Deborah Elwood Lowery, died. Have found no proof or birth or death. Any help would be appreciated. Ruth Filip, 5/97
- My Grandmother was Llora Belle Martin; her father was Charles Harvey Martin, b. 1851, d. 1932, Bridgeport; mother was Rebecca Anne Patrick from te Vincennes, IN area, b. 1827, d. 8 Mar 1912 in Bridgeport. Charles' father was Thomas Martin, b. 1835, d. 1863; his mother was Eusebia Newell, b. 24 Dec 1827, d. 8 Mar 1912. My grandfather was Levi Layton Lydy from Clinton co. IN. My problem is that I am not having any success researching the lineages of the Martins, Patricks and Newells. Any help or suggestions are welcome. Russell Ehler, 10/97
- MARTIN / PATRICK / NEWELLS
- My mother is Rebecca Anne Lydy Ehler from Bridgeport, Lawrence co. Her mother was Llora Belle Martin Lydy also of Bridgeport. Her father was Levi Layton Lydy from Clinton co. IN. Llora's father was Charles Harvey Martin, b. 1851; d. 1932 in Bridgeport. Llora's mother was Rebecca Anne Patrick from the Vincennes, IN area; b. 1857; d. 1922 in Bridgeport. Charles' father was Thomas Martin b. 1835; d. 1863 (in Civil War). Charles' mother was Eusebia Newell b. 24 Dec 1827; d. 8 Mar 1912. My problem is that I am not having any success researching the lineages and genealogy of the Martins, Patricks, and Newells. I have considerable information on the Lydys and have Ehlers back to 1660 in Germany. All suggestions helpful. Russell Ehler, 4/97
- Looking for info on the William and Sarah MICHAEL family. Wm. was born in PA abt 1797, moved to Ohio abt 1830, then settled in Lawrence County about 1840 along with at least one son, Samuel (b. 1815, PA). Samuel's family lived near Sumner or Bridgeport until about 1890 when they moved to Marion County. Samuel's m. 1) Susan EAKAS, 2) Mary Ann COLLINS, 3) Caroline Turner. Don't know when William or Sarah died, except that it was after 1860. They weren't found on the 1870 census. Thanks for your help! Paula Earls, 5/97
- I'm researching the ancestry and descendants of Rachel MUSGROVE, b. Sept 3, 1844, Lawrence Co; dau. Joshua and Hannah MUSGROVE. Joshua, b. ?MD, 1799; but this hasn't been confirmed. Hannah, b. ?PA @1830, maybe Ohio. Children: 1) Thomas, b. 1832, Ohio; 2) Mary, b. 1836, Ohio; 3) Reese, b. 1839, IL; 4) Maria, b. 1842, IL; George W, b. 1848, IL. Rachel m. 1) Willis GILLESPIE, Oct 28, 1860; he d. early in the Civil War; m. 2) Stephen Cleaver KING, Sept 4, 1862, Lawrence Co. I have not been able to link these Musgroves to any of the people mentioned in Stanley Shartle's book, but it seems very likely that they will ultimately prove to be connected to the Quaker Musgrove/MUSGRAVEfamily. I would be very greatful for any information, advice orsuggestions. Michael Barker
- Interested in information on Anderson Nicks, b. 1796, NC, m. Elizabeth, 1813, TN; m.2nd, Sarah Richards, 1832, Lawrence co,; m.3rd Rebecca, @1834, Lawrence co. Divorced Elizabeth, 1832 for adultry with Moses Johnson in Lawrence co. Moved to Navarro co, TX 1848. Gerald Watkins, 1/98
- Joshua POTTS b. 27 Mar 1814 Richland Co., Ohio, settled in Dennison Twp., Lawrence Co., IL in 1839. Joshua d. 11 Mar 1876 in Lawrence Co. His 1st wife, Rebecca HARVUOT, b. ca. 1813 in Uwchland Twp., Chester Co., PA; d. Lawrence Co., IL, @ 1845. Joshua and Rebecca had two children, including Benton POTTS. Benton b. 26 Jun 1842 in Dennison Twp.; d. 12 Jan 1914 in Edgerton, Platte Co., MO. Benton's daughter, Amanda Jane POTTS, b. 20 Aug 1868, Dennison Twp., Lawrence Co., d. 7 Feb 1951 in Mooresville, Livingston Co., MO. Joshua POTTS m. (2) Laura Ann COLLISON by whom he had 6 children. Joshua married (3) Maryetta COUCH and had 2 children. I will gladly exchange information with other interested researchers. Jim Stout, 5/97
- POTTS / TAYLOR
- I am searching for information about the ancestors of Sarah Taylor. b. abt. 1869; m. Edward Maeshall Potts, 24 Dec 1887 in Lawrence County, IL. Sarah Taylor's father is listed as Sam Taylor on their marraige certificate. Vic Potts, 10/97
- Searching for information on Charles Fremont REYNOLDS, b. September 1856, Indiana. He married Nancy Jane RODRICK. I have found them on the 1880 U.S. census Lawrence co., Petty Twp. and the 1900 Census same location. The children: William Henry, John, George, May, Floyd, Guy, Hugh and Albert. I have no information on deaths, marriages, and dates of birth. Would love to hear from someone who can help me. I have information on William Henry's family. I do not have his death date, but have his children, grandchildren and great grandchildrens information.
Donna Clark, 8/97
- Looking for any information regarding parents of Armon Gaylord Roberson, b. Bridgeport IL, Mar. 24 1913 and died April 1968 in Bloomington, IN. Thank you, Kelly Kelly Roberson, 6/97
- Elias Shreffler (1821-1891): An early pioneer to Lawrence county was Elias Shreffler, the 12th child of Henry and Mary Shreffler. He was b. in Miles twp. Centre co., PA and moved to Lawrence co., in the early 1840's following brothers Samuel and John who had purchased Lawrence co., land from the government in 1840. He met Rebecca Sechrest (1825-1903) and in 1844 married her. Eli was a farmer. In 1850, he also purchased government land. Rebecca and Eli had the following childre: Daniel (1845-1864); Ana Liza (1848-1927); David (1850-1850); Mary Ann (1852-1927); William (1855-1952); Rebecca May (1858-1925); Sarah (1861-1928); Susanna (1863-1876); Sylvester (1866-1869); and John Alexander (1867-1919). Interested in working with relations. Norman Shreffler, 4/1/97
- STUCKE / STUCKEY
- Seeking any information regarding Nicholas STUCKE/STUCKEY, b. 1800, Switzerland, d. 1864 Richland County, Ill. He was a pioneer settler of Lawrence County prior to the incorporation of Richland County. Also interested in information regarding other Stuckes. Perry Fulkerson, 6/97
- Jacob Stults (sometimes spelled Stultz) in Union co. Ohio in 1850 and in Lawrence co. by 1866; d. in Petty Twp., Lawrence co. in 1868. Wife: Eliza Scott. Adult or near adult children living with Jacob: Daniel G., b. 1847; Henry, b. 1845; minor child; Violet Malissa. Any informaion will be greatly appreciated. Janice Stults Albritton, 5/97
- I am looking for any information on the TINKLE family living in Bridgeport between 1865 - 1868. Also Charels TINKLE who lived and d. in IL after 1850. Tinkle, 3/98
- Seeking descendents of Seth and Rebecca Cummins Umfleet who came to Lawrence co. @1825. Children: Fountain, Harrison, Surilda, Benjamin. See obit on Pioneer Breveties page. Tresa Herald, 6/97
- WAGGONER / REEVES
- I have access to information on the Waggoner and Reeves who lived in and around Bridgeport, Larenceville, and Sumner. Alva Waggoner, m. Mayme Pearl Cummins; several children, one: Crystal Wenonia m. Thomas McDonald Reeves had 12 children. My information includes a Reeves family Bible. mail me, 2/98
- Gerald Powers White II
- is looking for any photos of Lawrenceville from 1865 to 1900 that show a wagon and repair shop. Also looking for photos or information on the Lumber, Grain & Agricultural Implements store owned by Hardacre & Musgrove during the same time.
- WHITLEY / WADE(R)
- I am trying to obtain any information that is available about Maria(h) WOOD WHITLEY,b.abt 1801 Upper/Eastern Canada; m. 9 March 1843 in Hancock County, Hiram WADE/WADER, b.1793. In 1850 they were living in Henderson TWP, Knox County along with Charles, Edwin, Joseph and Phineas WHITLEY and Harvey and Lorenzo WADE. I have also come across an H. WADE who served as county clerk of Jasper County and Sheriff for Lawrence County--however I do not know if this is my Hiram WADE. Any information on any of these names would be most appreciated!!! Paula Price, 9/97
- WORSTELL / GOULD
- Wish to exchange information with anyone researching the names WORSTELL or GOULD in Lawrence Co. Both families were among the early settlers. Have quite a bit of data on the WORSTELL line to share. E-mail or snail mail to Linda Worstell, 2218 E. 10000 South, Sandy, UT 84092-4127. 5/97
Back to Home
This page last updated
© 2006, 2007, 2008, ILGenWeb &