ILGW logo Lawrence County, Illinois
Pioneeer Biographies

Lawrence Co. Resources
Lawrence Co. Online Records
Photo Gallery
Pioneer Bios

Page One Surnames A - O
Page Two Surnames P - Z

Researched and submitted by Veda Grayson

I am collecting short histories of family who came to Lawrence county before 1880. If you have some information on your family, please email it to the coordinator. This is not a query page, so do not ask questions (go to the query page for questions). Just give me the facts (interesting, fun, or just basic facts). I will edit as needed. Please include a picture, if you have one. Also, please include sources, where possible. This does not need to be footnoted "proper" citations, just a line at the end of main sources used in your research.

Samuel Allison
Contributed by James Cross

Samuel Allison moved with his large family from Warm Springs in what is now Bath County VA, to Mason county KY about 1800. He came to Lawrence county in 1809 with the families of his brother and two married sons. According to the recollections of his grandson, John  W. Allison, he returned to KY that year due to hostile Indians, but returned the following year. Allison township and Allison prairie are named for him.  Fort Allison was built on his property and served as a shelter for the residents from hostile Indians during the War of 1812. Its exact site is no longer known and there is no historic marker.

Samuel was a blacksmith and a devout member of the Primitive Baptist Church. The families first attended Maria Creek church on the Indiana side of the Wabash. This church building was later moved to the campus of Vincennes University where it is now the university chapel. The university library has the minutes of the church, which was the first in the U.S. to formally adopt a resolution condemning slavery. One reason for the Allison's move to IL was that their group included some free blacks who were discriminated against in KY.

In 1817 Samuel was instrumental in establishing the Canaan Primitive Baptist Church which is located just across the county line in Crawford county.  The church is still standing. In the churchyard is a pedestal with a rather rusty anvil.  It has a plaque which states, "This anvil was brought from England by the Allisons in 1750 and in 1809 they brought it into a place north of Russellville, Illinois. In 1810 Fort Allison was built by the Allison brothers, Samuel H, the blacksmith, Jonathan, John, Ezra and Richard, a Baptist minister. This anvil was dedicated in memory of the Primitive Baptists by the Allison descendants Oct. 19, 1947."   Samuel died in 1818 and is buried in Little Village cemetery.  The death date of his wife Phoebe Young is not known.

The inscription is not quite correct as several of the Allisons named were Samuel's sons, rather than his brothers. His son Richard Allison married Lavina Lemasters, step-daughter of  a man named Whitesite or Whiteside about 1821. Richard was not an ordained minister, but rather a lay preacher. His election as minister of the Canaan church was controversial and led to a split in the congregation. In 1845 he moved with his family to the lead mining area of southwestern WI  where he died in 1854.

     A picture of the Canaan church showing the monument. 


Marshall Armstrong
Contributed by Jeff Armstrong

Marshall Armstrong was the son of James M. Armstrong and was born in Wabash county, Illinois on  May 30, 1857.  His father was the son of Ephraim
Armstrong of Wabash county who was the son of John Armstrong and Elizabeth
Martin.  Around the end of the Civil War, Marshall moved from Pleasant Hill, Wabash Co., IL. to St. Francisville in Lawrence county. He relocated with his
parents, James M. and Sarah (Litherland) Armstrong and his siblings. 

Marshall married Miss Ida May Lindsey on Oct 27, 1886, across the border in
Knox county, Indiana.  Ida was the daughter of Alfred A. Lindsey and Mary
Ann (Reck) Lindsey.  Ida had lived in Wabash county, IL. as well as Spencer
county, IN.  Later her mother moved to Lawrence county as well, after
divorcing Alfred and remarrying.  Marshall and Ida raised a family of 7
children in St. Francisville where Marshall worked for the "Big Four"
railroad as a pumper and later a bridge watchman.  Marshall died in 1921 and
is buried in the OAK Lawn Cemetery in St. Francisville along with Ida who
passed in 1938.  Many of their children raised families in Lawrence county
as well.  My grandfather, Harry H. Armstrong, their son, was born in 1894 in
St. Francisville but moved to Indianapolis, IN, after marrying a woman from
Knox county, IN, Miss Carrie D. Lawhead.  Members of this Armstrong family
still live in Lawrence, Wabash, and several other counties in Illinois as
well as all over the country. 

The Armstrong family of St. Francisville is of a different branch of Armstrongs than that of the Armstrongs of Lawrenceville in Lawrence county.  For those researching this family, they originated from Ireland,  most likely and did live in North Carolina in the late 1700s before moving to Wilson, TN. They then moved to Edwards county, Illinois shortly after the War of 1812. Many of the male family members fought in Tennessee regiments against  the Creek Indians in southern TN.  The part of Edwards where they lived was used to form part of Wabash county in the 1820s and many places In Wabash bear the Armstrong name to this day.



Lott Basden
contributed by Linda Benson

Lott Basden was born 1800 in Onslow Co. North Carolina and came with his family to Lawrence Co. Il. abt. 1818-1820.  Lott married an Elizabeth "Betsy" Laws in 1821 Lawrence Co. and had children there. They had 4 children. Lott died in 1844 in the same place, and is buried in the Hickory Point Cemetery.  Two of the children of Lott and Elizabeth were Martha Jane Basden (Married Luther Anderson) and Albert G. Basden who had 7 children and bought his sister's interest in the old homestead of Lott his father, and greatly increased it's value. (They also lived in Richland county later on.) Albert Basden married Catherine Adams in Richland Co.  Lott was the first County Commissioner and a prosperous farmer.  He laid out the first plats for Lawrence Co.


Philip Belles
Contributed by Laura Armetta

Philip Belles (1804-1890), son of Cornelius (1764 NJ – 1851 PA) and Margaret (Huffschmidt) Belles (1768 PA – 1788 PA) of Newport twp, Luzerne Co, PA moved with his family in 1854 to Sumner, Christy Twp, Lawrence Co, IL. He and his wife, Jane (Keithline) Belles (1804-1868), settled in Christy Township and are buried in Zion Cemetery.

Several other Luzerne County families (James Vandermark 1840-43, Adam Slagel/Slagle 1869, John, George & Sidney Saums 1870, Sims, Arnold and Shoup) made the same trip. They were all following affordable land as they expanded. Large families couldn't all work the family farm. The German families also had a long history of collective/community movement.

This is the family line based on historical research and the considerable help of John King and Chris Skow.

Philip Belles Jr. (1 Sep 1843 -15 Dec 1908)

"PHILIP BELLES.  The subject of the following sketch was born in Luzerne Co., PA in 1843.  He was the fourth son of Philip Belles, Sr., who married Jane Keichline [Keithline].  He immigrated with his parents to Lawrence County in 1854, and settled on section 29, range 3, 12 west.  He resided with his parents until 1862, when, on the 14th day of August of that year he enlisted in company I, 130th regiment Illinois infantry.  He took part in the following engagements:  Port Hudson, Champions Hill, Big Black River, Siege of Vicksburg and Jackson, Miss.  After these engagements he was transferred to the Gulf department, and during Banks' unfortunate expedition up Red river he was taken prisoner at Sabine Cross Roads.  He was immediately taken to Camp Ford, near Tyler, Texas, where he was confined as a prisoner of war from April 6th, 1864, until paroled May 25, 1865.  The prisoners who were confined there were put in a stockade eight feet high in which was a dead-line fifteen from the stockade, and any prisoner passing that line, either accidentally or otherwise, incurred the penalty of death, at the option of the guard.  It is also his candid opinion, from circumstances which came under his own personal observation, that guards were promoted and given furloughs for shooting down a prisoner when found over the dead-line. 

To illustrate it more distinctly, he remembers a case in which a prisoner from an Ohio regiment was persuaded across the dead line by a sentinel, with promises that he should not be molested, as he simply wanted to talk to him.  When the prisoner was within five or six feet of the stockade the sentinel warned the man that he would shoot him, and as the prisoner turned to run the sentinel shot him in the back.  That sentinel was not seen again for thirty days, and when next seen was sergeant in command of a squad of Confederate soldiers.  During their confinement three different attempts were made to tunnel out of the prison.  Owing to the treachery of some of the prisoners, these were not very successful, and even when successful, the chances of escape to the Union lines were very meager, as there was a corral of blood-hounds kept at the stockade for the purpose of capturing escaped prisoners.  Some of the hounds would strike a trail forty-eight hours old and overtake the prisoner.  At one time he was an eye-witness where six blood-hounds caught a prisoner and mangled him so that he died within five days.  At one time their rations for five days were a pint and a half of shelled corn. 

The above are some of the hardships endured by Mr. Belles and his comrades in a rebel prison.  To enumerate all of them would require a volume.  He was mustered out of service on the 17th day of June, 1865, and immediately returned to his father's home, where he has since followed the occupation of a farmer.  He was married Dec. 20th, 1866, to Miss Lizzie Ramsey,daughter of Joseph and Mary Ramsey, nee Winship, who now reside in Richland Co., IL. From this union there are no offspring.  He united with the Presbyterian Church in 1881, of which he is still a consistent member.  He became a life-member of the Union Ex-Prisoners of War Association Jan. 12, 1882.  Since he became a voter he has always been a staunch Republican, being the only one of his family who incline to that belief.  He is a representative man of his party, having been several times delegate to county conventions, and also strongly solicited to serve as supervisor of his township, which honor he has studiously declined. He is an honest, upright, industrious citizen, respected by his neighbors and loved by his friends."


John Edwin BLACK
contributed by Jim

Excerpts from an account prepared around 1960 by Floyd H. Black, born 1888 near Bridgeport:

On July 12, 1821, William Black, Jr., married Mary Lake, daughter of Constant Lake and Ann Straughn Lake, the latter born near Penn's Neck, New Jersey (near Princeton) September 8, 1798. Her father owned a mill near Jeromesville, Ohio, and William Black was employed for a time in the mill, thus meeting his future wife. Later, William, like his father, owned and worked a farm in Ashland County...[T]he Black and Lake families were united in the marriage of William Black and Mary Lake on July 12, 1821.

So far as I can learn the facts the following members of the Black family moved from Ashland County, Ohio, to Lawrence County, Illinois, in 1838 travelling in covered wagons and arriving in the month of May. They were William Black, Sr., and his wife, Sarah Stevens Black, my grand-parents, John and Polly Black, Samuel, Jonathan and Daniel together with their wives and several children. In addition to those three other children of William and Sarah Black remained in Ohio, their names being Mary, Rhoda and James. The records of the Palestine Association of Baptist Churches in Illinois show that in 1839, William and Mary Black, Jonathan and Mary Black, Samuel and Harriet Black, Daniel and Elizabeth Black became charter members of the newly organized Shiloh Church, which is still an active and flourishing organization.

At a date I cannot ascertain, but probably in 1840 my great grandfather William, his wife Sarah and two of their sons returned to Ashland County, Ohio, after having become dissatisfied with conditions in Lawrence County. William Black died in Ohio at age of 92.

John Black, son of William and Sarah, died November 13, 1848, being 51 years, 7 months and 19 days old. His grave with headstone may still be seen in the Old Cemetery. Sarah Ann, daughter of John and Polly Black, who was born in Ohio, February 15, 1822, married James M. Milhouse, who died in 1786, but Sarah Ann, his wife, lived on to a great age dying on October 9, 1915, at the age of 94 years, 7 months and 23 days...

Sarah Ann Black Milhouse had a sister named Catharine, who my marriage became Catharine Black Hite. Soon after the close of the Civil War [marginal note: "(or possibly in 1861) There is some confusion of dates here."] she and her husband, her brother Ben and her mother, Polly Black, migrated to Utah. Later (probably in 1868), the two men of the family having been killed either by Indians or by brigands, Catharine and her mother, the latter being my great aunt, together with Catharine's two little boys decided to return to Lawrence County, and my father, then a young man and unattached, went to meet them at a landing stage called Wyoming, a place at or near the present town called Nebraska City, on the Missouri river a short distance down stream from Omaha, a starting point for wagon trains crossing the plains to Utah and California. After many adventures they were brought back in safety to Sumner, Illinois...

[William and Mary Black] bought land in section 19, township 3, range 12 west, a farm which, subsequently enlarged to about 310 acres, remained in the family until 1898. The first house was built of logs and served the family until 1866, when a solid frame house was built by my father. House, barns, granary and all outbuildings and fences have dow disappeared and the site of the old homestead grown up in bushes and brambles, with only two ancient pine trees, the larger riven by lightning, left to mark the site. A fine spring which long supplied water for the numerous livestock of the farm still flows, though surrounded by reeds and briars, creating a small marsh in the area which was for sixty years the busy barnyard. It was here that the children and some of the grandchildren of William and Mary Black lived for a considerable part of their lives...

John Edwin Black, the youngest son of William and Mary Black, my father,who was born March 10, 1843, and died October 14, 1936 age 93 years, 7 months and 4 days. He attended the local schools then available in Illinois, private subscription schools, for the first school law establishing a free state school system was enacted only in 1855. Apparently he had some good instruction and so was well grunded in grammar, arithmetic, history, geography and penmanship, the latter skill having been learned with a goose quill pen before the first steel pens came into the local market. At age eighteen he began teaching school in the local district and later in Lawrenceville from 1862 to 1865, the Maximum salary received being $40 a month. From the summer of 1865 to the spring of 1868 he was employed in the War Department in Washington with a maximum salary of $1600 a year. Returning to Lawrence County in 1868 he took over the family farm and from that date until the end of his life farming was his principal occupation. From 1888 to 1896 he was a member of the Illinois legislature. In 1868 he married Margaret E. Finley, daughter of John Marcus Finley, a neighbor. She died on July 30, 1870, probably of typhoid fever. Her grave is in the Shiloh cemetery. There were no children from this marriage. On January 20, 1872, he married Ellen Jame Finley, the younger sister of this first wife and she became the mother of my brothers, sister, and myself...

About my mother's education I know little except that she was an excellent reader aloud reading many stories and books to her children. My personal liking for poetry was aroused by hearing her read The Courtship of Miles Standish and other American poems when I was a child eight or nine years old. She died as the result of an accident caused by an automobile in Huntingdon, Tennessee, May 15, 1910, age 59 years and 4 months. Married at the age of twenty one she became the mother of eleven children...

Note regarding the first Shiloh Church. A statement left by my father of events he remembered in the year 1851, when he was eight years old, contains the following with regard to the location of Shiloh Church:

"The second important event of that year came in September when the Palestine Association of Baptist Churches met with the Shiloh Church. The building was a log structure located about forty rods northwest of our house. Father's timber land came up within a few rods of the church and in it he and others had built a small tabernacle where preaching could be held while the delegates transacted Association business in the church. The preacher was Elder A. J. Fuson." This statement would indicate that the first Shiloh Church was located near the Old Cemetery about one mile west of its present location.

Benjamin Bunn (Click for .pdf file)
contributed by Shirley Larson

William Y. Christy
contributed by Laurel Treat

William Y. Christy was born in 1806 in Ohio. His father, Andrew Christy, brought his family to Lawrence county around 1824. Apparently, Andrew Jr. came to Illinois and entered the 77 1/2 acres of the family homestead. The Illinois public land database lists a purchase by Andrew Christy Jr., on 7/27/1824 in Lawrence county. Then Andrew Sr., his wife, Elizabeth Cartmill Christy, and some of their children followed. William Y. Christy stayed on at that family farm after his parents died. He lived there until his death in 1870. William was a member of the house of representatives from Lawrence county for the state of IL. He represented Lawrence county in the 18th Gen Assembly 1852-1854 "and thus was a member of that body when Sumner was born.." "Trails of Yesterday"

"Combined History of Edwards, Lawrence and Wabash counties, Illinos". Published by J.L. McDonough. In 1824, “Andrew Christy came from Ohio and settled north of Sumner, where he entered land. He had a large family but none of its members remained in the county but William Y… The township and the prairie in which he settled are known by his name. J.S. Christy, in the drug business at Sumner, is his son”.

The siblings of William Y. Christy who also came to Lawrence county with their family were: Samuel Cartmill Christy, who went into business with Nicholas Jarrot in Cahokia, IL, and later also became business partners with his brother Andrew Jr. Samuel C. married Melanie Jarrot and they had 4 children. Andrew Christy Jr. was a school teacher for a while before going into business with Vital Jarrot, son of Nicholas. He and brother Samuel later formed part of a partnership that owned the Wiggins Ferry service. The steamship ferry company grew to become a monopoly in the business of transporting goods and services between the growing areas of St. Louis, MO and East St. Louis, IL. After Samuel died in 1836, Andrew went on to acquire more business interests in St. Louis and became an active civic leader as well as a wealthy and prominent citizen of St. Louis before his death in 1869. He never married. John Cartmill Christy married Elizabeth Dennison, daughter of William and Margaret. They had 8 children and settled for a while in Jersey County. John then headed to California during the gold rush, and died there in 1849. Joseph Ringland Christy fought in a Lawrence county unit during the Black Hawk war. He later owned a line of mail coaches traveling from Kentucky to St. Louis. He and a business partner bought 6 parcels of land in Lawrence County in 1841. He never married. Nancy Calvin Christy married Cannady Clubb in Lawrence county. They had 7 children. Cannady owned a tavern. Nancy, Cannady and infant twin boys all died in 1851. I suspect this might have been due to Cholera, which had been in nearby Coles county that year, or influenza, which also caused a lot of deaths throughout the Midwest that year. Harriet Christy married Martin Bowman of Lawrence county. They had 8 children.

William Y. Christy first married Margaret Lanterman, daughter of James and Jane Drennen, in 1833. They had 4 children that lived. Francis Marion Christy married Margaret Carr, they had 12 children. Nancy E. Christy (picture) married George M. Whittaker in 1859. They had 5 children. Jane Elizabeth Christy married Shannon Knox in 1861. They had 6 children. Margaret (Lanterman) Christy died in 1842. William Y. then married Catherine Shirley in 1844. They had 2 children that lived. Harriet L. Christy married John Sheridan in 1866. Joseph S. Christy (picture) married Harriet Rose of Ohio in 1873. They had 3 children that lived. Catherine (Shirley) Christy died in 1854. William Y. then married Maria Bentley in 1859. Maria died in 1865.

Sources: Pub by Sumner Centennial inc, a booklet entitled "Centennial celebration - Sumner 1854-1954", 1850, 1860 census, Lawrence county, IL. BLM-GLO records, Vital record archives, State of Illinois, Christy Family history compiled by Francis M. Christy, LDS records, family documents.

contributed by Veda Grayson -
a descendent of my husband's ggggfather Thomas ENGLAND
of Billett Lawrence Co.

Abner G. England - Montana GenWeb Archives - May be copied for non-profit purposes.- History of the State of Montana, by Joaquim Miller, 1894

Abner G. England, a Montana pioneer of 1864 and one of Missoula's most successful farmers, dates his birth in Lawrence County, Illinois, November 1, 1830. Of his life and ancestry a brief record is herewith presented. Mr. England's grandfather, Thomas England, was born in Pennsylvania and was descended from a family of early settlers of that state. He lived to be eighty-five years of age and reared a family of thirteen children, six daughters and seven sons. His fifth child, Joel Wallace England was born in Tennessee in 1807. From Tennessee the family emigrated to Illinois being among its pioneer settlers and in that state Joel W. England was married to Jane Seeds, a native of Illinois, her father having removed from Ireland to that state when it was on the frontier. After their marriage they settled down on a farm and continued to reside in Illinois for a number of years after which they removed to Missouri where he spent the rest of his life and where he died at the age of eighty-four years. He had been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for many years and was one of the most highly respected men in the community where he lived. His first wife died leaving him with three sons and two daughters, of whom Abner G was the oldest and by a subsequent marriage Mr. England had one son and four daughters.

Abner G. England was seven years old at the time his mother died and after her death the home was broken up and he went to live with William Thompson, his youthful days divided between farm work and attendance at the district school. Upon reaching maturity, he rented a farm on Ellison prairie, Lawrence County, Illinois and at the end of one year he had by hard work and economy saved enough with which to furnish his share of an outfit with two others to come to California. This was in the spring of 1853. Their outfit consisted of five yoke of oxen and a wagon and provisions. Frank and Wiley Cruse had been his schoolmates and they were now to be his companions and partners in crossing the plains. They left St. Joseph, Missouri on the 28th of April as a part of a train composed of twenty-six men made the long journey in safety and landed at Placerville August 2, 1853. After Mr. England's arrival in California, he was for two years in the livery business at Marysville. Then he mined on the middle fork of the Yuba River and engaged in a fluming enterprise in which he lost all he had made. From there he went to Nevada City where he had a claim which he worked four months, during that time taking $500 worth of gold more than his expenses. Next, he went to Alleghany, Sierra County, where he remained five years having the usual luck of a miner--sometimes lucky, sometimes broke. From Sierra County he went to the Territory of Nevada from there to San Francisco and from that city came in 1864 to Missoula valley in Montana He rented a farm three milesfrom his present home. Although the crops were small that year prices were high and he cleared $4,000. He sold his wheat for $7.50/bushel; oats, $2.50/bushel; potatoes six and a half to ten cents per pound; cabbage, five cents per pound and onions twenty-five cents per pound. The following year he took claim to 160 acres of government land, moved onto this place in November and since 1865 has resided there.

He built a log cabin on his claim and for eight years he lived the life of a bachelor. March 11, 1873 Mr. England was happily married to Mary Cousins, a native of Illinois and a daughter of Dr. E.G. Cousins, a physician of that state. They are the parents of two children, a son and a daughter. Their daughter Ella N. is attending school at Missoula and their son Orville G. is in College in Deer Lodge. While in Sacramento in 1872 Mr. England offered his services to his country but on account of a physical disability was rejected. This effort to join the Union Army proved his loyalty to his country. While he has given little attention to political matters, his vote has always been cast with the Republican Party. Since coming to Montana, Mr. England's career has been that of the successful farmer and able financier. From time to time he has added to his original holdings until now he has 560 acres in one body, one of the choicest farms in Montana. In 1883 he erected his splendid and commodious brick residence. While he has met with markedsuccess in his farming operations, he has not confined his attention to his farm alone but has become interested in various enterprises that are of great value to the country. He was one of the organizers of the First National Bank of Missoula, has been one of its stockholders since its organization and is now its vice-president. The Bank Corporation owns the beautiful National Bank building which was built at a costof $115,000 and the same corporation also owns the Missoula Hotel, one of the best hotels in the county, it having been erected at a cost of $65,000. Mrs. England was a charter member of the First Presbyterian Church of Missoula and is one of the few charter members who are still spared to worship there.

USGenWeb Project NOTICE: In keeping with our policy of providing free information on the internet, data may be used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format forprofit, nor for commercial presentation by any other organization. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for purposes other than as stated above, must obtain express writtenpermission from the author, or the submitter and from the listed USGenWeb Project archivist.

Henry August FREHSE
contributed by Pat Ramsey Bogel of Fort Wayne, IN.

My grandfather, Henry August Frehse, was born 30 August 1869 in Christy township, Lawrence county, Illinois. His father was Ludwing (Louis) Frehse. Ludwig served in the Civil War as a member of Company B, 37th Regiment of the Ohio Infantry Volunteers, a regiment of all Germans.

Benjamin Franklin GOSNELL
contributed by David Goodnow

Benjamin Franklin Gosnell lived near Lawrenceville, Lawrence co. IL. He enlisted shortly afer the Civil War began, and discharged and then re-enlisted. He was discharged as a captain at war's end in Little Rock, AR. It is unclear whether or not he was an officer of the 62nd IL Infantry, Company A. At some time during the fighting, though, he was as either an enlisted man or later an an officer.

contributed by Dawn Daddario

My great-great grandfather, DAVID HIPSHER/HIPSHIRE, ran away from Grainger County, TN, at age 14 just as he was about to be conscripted into the Civil War as a confederate in 1864! His biography states that he went to various areas of the country, including; Randolph County, Indiana, Missouri, and Texas, before finding residence in Lawrence County. He later returned to Grainger County after the Civil War and brought his Mother (DELPHIA HIPSHER) and Step-Father (PRIOR HARVEY - who was a prisoner of war by the Union side until released in about 1863), and his bride-to-be, MARY HARVEY, and other extended HARVEY families to Lawrence County to permanently settle.

He was instrumental in founding of the Church - May Chapel. The Lawrence County Commorative Edition 1821-1996 states "the first load of lumber for the church was hauled by David Hipshire in 1880" for the building of the Church. He was also on the first board of trustees, as well as the Church treasurer. In addition, he was elected Lawrence County Treasurer, and served from 1902-1905. His son, JOHN HIPSHER, was elected county sheriff, and served from 1930-1934 His son-in-law HAYES BALE, served from 1934-1938 as sheriff.

David ran a thriving buggy business, as well. Coming from the the beautiful Apalachian countryside, he was poor and had very little schooling. I am very proud that he made something of himself, despite his very humble beginnings in rural Tennessee. He and many of his famiily, including HARVEYS, BALES, NOES, SEEDS, GROVES, HENDERSON's, and others are buried at the May Chapel cemetery. Harvey and Hipsher families continued to live in Lawrence County, and some do to this day. My Uncle John Hipsher is a resident of Wabash County. Dawn Daddario (daughter of Harriett Hipsher)

Delpha Jane INMAN and Peter BAKER
contributed by Robert Terry Everett

Many Inman and Bakers were in Lawrence County. My g grandmother, Delpha Jane Inman, was born there on February 9, 1848 to John Inman, Sr. and Mahala Spears. To them would be born twins as well on March 24, 1850 by the name of Amelia and Hanry Inman. Mahala Spears Inman would pass away on June 15, 1857 when the twins were 7 years old. This was John Sr.'s second family having had 9 children with his first wife who would die on September 5, 1845 by the name of Charity Mosier.

Delpha would grow up and be keeping company with a Peter Baker. She would get his clothes ready and see him off to serve in the Civil War and would walk to a deep ditch with him. He would jump it and be on his way never looking back. Upon his return he would marry Eliza Inman and they would have 2 children. He would then marry Delpha Jane Inman and she would raise the children of his first marriage and then they would have 9 children of their own. Not passed down in the family but would be discovered recently was that Eliza was a niece of Delpha Jane's, a daugther of Delpha's older 1/2 brother. This family would leave Lawrence County about 1883 and move to Holt County, Missouri.

James D. Martin
Contributed by Harold W. Rarden, Wallingford, Kentucky

James D. Martin, migrated to Muhlenberg County, Ky. He was a War of 1812 veteran.  James D. Martin came to Muhlenberg Co. in 1803 with his father and mother.  He was born near Lexington Ky. in Fayette Co. Virginia (Ky) Sept. 8, 1785.  His father, Hugh Martin, was a farmer and revolutionary war veteran who had migrated from Augusta Co. Va. to Kentucky and his mother was Mary McDonald, also from Virginia. 

Hugh Martin’s father and family came to Fayette Co. in 1779 and they were instrumental in the building of Bryants Station and Fort in Lexington and were originally from Carnmoney, Antrim Ireland, his grandfather coming into Orange Co. (Augusta), in 1742.  Mary McDonalds family had come into America from Scotland.  James D. Martin married Mary Rice Spilman Sept. 15,1808 in Muhlenberg Co.  Mary was born in Garrard Co. Va.(KY) Mar. 8. 1792 and was  the daughter of Benjamin Franklin Spilman and Nancy J. Rice who at the time of Mary’s marriage lived in Muhlenberg Co.  James D. Martin served twice in the War of 1812 with The Muhlenberg Co. Militia and by 1823 had moved on to White Co. Illinois.  They farmed there and were on the 1830 census of Jefferson Co. Illinois but in 1840 were on the Lawrence Co. Illinois census. 

James died  on Nov. 6, 1864 in Lawrence Co.and is buried at the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery in Sumner, Illinois.  Mary moved on to Norton, Kansas with a daughter where she died April 26,1884.  - BIOGRAPHIES, By Harold W. Rarden of Fleming County, Ky, his related family members. See Family Group Sheet.


contributed by Veda Grayson

Could the McGAUGHEY building possibly belong to the lawyer, Guy McGAUGHEY in the 1930 census, living on State St.?




Last Residence


27 Jul 1895

Jun 1968

62439 (Lawrenceville, Lawrence, IL)


04 Apr 1892

Jan 1971

62439 (Lawrenceville, Lawrence, IL)


19 Dec 1900

May 1985

62439 (Lawrenceville, Lawrence, IL)


19 Jan 1924

10 Jul 1997

62439 (Lawrenceville, Lawrence, IL)


Guy b: 1892 and Guy Ennis b: 1924
I believe the E for Guy b: 1892 in the 1920 census is Ennis also

1900 Lawrence Co Il Ed:114 Image 25/26 H/F# 273/273 James St Owns Home
John b: 1859  41 IL OH OH Lawyer
Hassie b: 1862 38 IN IN IN
Guy V b: 1888 12 IL IL IN
John B b:1894 6 IL IL IN
Elan b:1899 1 IL IL IN
Terressa b: 1832 OH VA PA  (must be his mother)

1910 Ward 1 Ed: 127 Image 3/63 Sugar St @ State & Cochran St Owns Home
John E b: 1862 IN KY IN Lawyer
Bessie b: 1869 IN IN IN
Guy E b: 1892 IL IN IN
John C b: 1896 IL IN IN
Helen A b: 1899 IL IN IN
Harriet E b: 1838 IN PA KY  Mother

1920 Ward 1 Ed 158  Image 37/41 913 State St H/F 450/397 Owns home
John 1863 b: IN KY KY  Lawyer General Business
Bessie b: 1870 IN IN IN
John C b: 1899 IL IN IN None
Helen b: 1899 IL IN IN

Image 9/20 H/F 109/117 1505 State St Owns Home
Guy E 1894 IL IN IN Lawyer General Business
Margarite b: 1898 KY TN TN
Harret J b: 1919 Sept IL IL KY
Jenkins, Mabel b: 1905 IL Servant

1930 State St Owns home
Guy b: 1892 38 IL Lawyer
Margaret b: 1897 33 (didn't record state)
Harriett b: 1919 11 IL
Guy b: 1924 6 IL

The elder Guy's WWI record: He was a student at the Clinic of Law in Madison? Wis.
May have attended IL U for 2 years? He was 25 & single, and med build/height, brown hair/eyes. Address given as 913 E. State, Lawrenceville, IL.

McGAUGHEY Mailing List... Sat, Jan 27 2001 I found
a post from Bruce McGAUGHEY....Subject: McGAUGHEY/Indiana/Illinois

“My McGaugheys began in Virginia. There was
a James who married a daughter of one of the
first Chief Justices (Ellsworth). They moved
to Shelbyville, Ky where their plantation was
destroyed in the Civil War. They all moved
north into southwest Indiana, around Vincennes.

My Great Grandfather became a lawyer and lived in
Lawrenceville, Ill. The same for my Grandfather and Father.”


Back to Home


This page last updated Saturday, 20-Aug-2016 01:25:06 EDT

© 2009, ILGenWeb &